Tax Time Checklist for 1040 Clients
Below is a list of items that you should bring with you.
- New Clients: A copy of last year’s tax return with state.
- Proof of health insurance if you were covered in 2014.
- Any changes to marital status, dependents from last year’s return?
- Dependents: Social Security card and one (1) other identification for child such as medical or school papers.
- Form W-2 (Wages and Salaries)
- Form 1099-B (Sales of stocks, mutual funds, bonds)
- Form 1099-R (Pensions and IRA Distributions)
- Form 1099-SSA (Social Security benefits)
- Form 1099-INT & DIV (Interest / Dividends) (Also, tax exempt int/div)
- Form 1099-G (state income tax refund / unemployment)
- Royalty income and expenses
- K-1’s from partnerships, trusts, estates, S-corps
- Other income (jury duty, gambling winnings, etc.)
- HUD statement for new home purchased or old home sold.
- Contributions to IRA’s Keogh’s, and SEP’s (Bring Statements)
- Alimony paid or received
- Tuition and fees paid for higher education
- List of out of pocket medical, dental copays totaled up. The insurance premiums listed separately.
- Automobile registration form for ownership tax
- Home mortgage interest paid and real estate taxes paid. (Form 1098)
- List of cash/check charitable contributions with receipts.
- List of non-cash contributions (items given to ARC, Goodwill, Etc.)
- List of un-reimbursed employee business expenses (auto, hotels, supplies)
- List of miscellaneous expenses (tax prep fee, union & professional dues, etc.)
- Childcare expenses (name, address, Federal ID number of provider) and amount paid for EACH child. Bring statements.
- Federal & State estimated taxes paid for the tax year:
Date: ___________ Amount: ___________
If you own rental property, you should bring:
- A list showing Gross Receipts for each rental unit.
- Detailed depreciation schedule (New Clients).
- Expenses for each rental unit such as: property tax, mortgage interest, insurance, condo fees, lawn service, etc. Bring mortgage statements.
- A list of capital items purchased during the tax year for each unit. The list should show the date of purchases, a description of each item and cost. Bring receipts.
DEADLINES HAPPEN! Contact us today to get started early!