Tax Time Checklist for 1040 Clients
Below is a list of items that you should bring with you.
- New Clients: A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns.
- Child’s social security card plus 1 other ID form.
- Driver’s license info.
- W-2s, 1099s, Social Security benefits,
- Brokerage Statements
- K-1s from partnerships, S-corporations, trusts, estates, etc.
- Other Income such as gaming, inheritance, sale of property, etc.
- Contributions to IRA’s, SEPs, etc.
- Alimony paid or received.
- Tuition statements for Education.
- List of out of pocket medical totaled up. Insurance premiums paid separately. (No receipts).
- Home mortgage statements. Real estate taxes paid.
- List of charitable contributions paid by check or credit card.
- List of non-cash contributions such as used clothing.
- Childcare Expenses: Bring statement from provider.
- List of federal and state estimated taxes. (Date/Amount).
- Rental Property: List gross rental income for each unit.
- List expenses for rental units and capital items purchased.
- Mortgage and property tax statement for rental property.
If you own rental property, you should bring:
- A list showing Gross Receipts for each rental unit.
- Detailed depreciation schedule (New Clients).
- Expenses for each rental unit such as: property tax, mortgage interest, insurance, condo fees, lawn service, etc. Bring mortgage statements. Do not bring receipts for expenses.
- A list of capital items purchased during the tax year for each unit. The list should show the date of purchases, a description of each item and cost. Bring receipts.
DEADLINES HAPPEN! Contact us today to get started early!
You may bring paper docs in the office when I am here. OR You may drop them in the mail slot in my office door.
Building Hours are 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM Weekdays.
8:30 AM to NOON on Saturdays.
You may email them to me using PDF only ATTACHED to an email. Do NOT use “jpg”. Do NOT use a cell phone. Do not send a link to DropBox. Do not send or use a zip file. Do not send INSIDE an email. We are a paperless office; therefore, we do NOT have a fax machine. You may use a complex password on the file.
Do NOT put a password on EACH document. Please scan all documents in the SAME direction.
- The IRS has VERY STRICT record retention rules. I have to follow their rules. Thank you so much for coming in this year.Your loyalty is sincerely appreciated.